*We serve. We respect our team. We innovate. We are consistent. We are accountable. We do it right.
Princess Cruises – We are currently searching for a highly motivated Specialist, Public Relations who will manage media relations and media events for the brand in support of Director, Public Relations. Interfaces with team members at all levels of the company including senior executives and fosters relationships with key constituent and influencers outside the company. This position reports to the Director of Public Relations.
In a city with enviable quality of life balance, our corporate offices are located in beautiful Southern California in downtown Santa Clarita. Santa Clarita is what CNN Money Magazine calls “one of the best places to live in California.” With award-winning schools, special events and a large arts and cultural scene, Santa Clarita is the third largest city in Los Angeles County and is ranked as one of the safest cities in not only California, but in the nation.
We welcome your interest in joining Princess Cruises – one of the world’s premier cruise lines with 18 ships sailing to hundreds of worldwide destinations – and enjoying all the benefits and perks we have to offer.
- Fields the majority of media queries and generates response with timely and accurate information to meet deadlines. Assigns inquiries for response to support staff in department as appropriate. Presents recommendations for media opportunities to manager, including executive media interviews and broadcast opportunities. Drafts interviews briefs with suggested talking points for manager review
- Reviews all incoming media FAM requests (reactive) and presents recommendations to manager based on outlet, reach and potential story placement. Manages media cruise concessions, travel arrangements including air, hotel and transfers with team coordinator, and executive assistant
- Communicates with media to provide guidance to confirm bookings, reserve tours and schedule, develop and produce press kits materials and follow up for story placement. Proactively communicates with hosted media to provide further support and determine what additional product information is needed for story development
- Coordinate with the UK and Australia offices to track hosted media and oversees the creation of a summary report, including measurement. Works with Manager of International Public Relations to receive Asia results to include in overall report
- Works with agency partner to develop a list of FAM media candidates (proactive) based on strategic direction of editorial goals and sourcing yearly priorities Presents list to director to recommend journalists to host for best editorial placements, audience reach and ROI
- Serves as Princess public relations host on press trips and manages all communication to the ship, port agents, and product teams and to senior executives
- Manages news release schedule by identifying, drafting and routing release for approval in timely manner to meet distribution timing. Additional communications including proof reading and distribution through web-based programs (PR Newswire and Agility); collaborates with marketing to recommend and confirm news release hyperlinks are loaded, working and trackable
- Manages online newsroom and decides appropriate sections of web page for materials to be posted. Ensures materials are posted and updated in a timely manner and assigns to support staff as needed
- Monitors and measures editorial media placements and independently creates monthly and “ad-hoc” special reports for analysis by Director and Vice President. Analyzes coverage to ensure goals are met with publication, reach and product mentions in stories. Generates ROI reports and provide analysis on measured data
- Researches appropriate media contacts, maintains monitoring and media lists platforms to update contacts, key words and search functions
- Reviews media placements and reports based on product launches, hosted trips and trade coverage. Provides accurate reporting to Director and Vice President
- Keeps abreast of competitive news within the cruise and travel industries by regularly reading industry trade publications. Alert Director and Vice President of critical information
- Recommends vendors and participates in review of new vendors to ensure our partners are all “best in class” and proactively liaises with vendors on critical system updates; makes recommendations to director
- Works with senior events manager on the planning and logistical implementation of media events both shoreside and onboard Princess ships. Leads the media component of the events, preparing media lists, invitations, managing RSVPs and confirmation emails. Handles initial drafts of executive and spokesperson messaging Works closely with senior events manager to ensure events elements are planned properly for the media
- Directly communicates with talent/celebrity, spokesperson and works with senior events manager and PR coordinator to manages travel, accommodations and transfers for ship launches, in-port functions and special events. Works with PR coordinator who handles logistical coordination with air department, port agents and outside hotel and transportation vendors
- Miscellaneous assignments; could include media shoot staffing aboard ships, representing the company while attending events
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations, communications, journalism or related field
- 3-5 years of experience in public relations; agency or corporation experience preferred
- Successful track record of independently handling multiple and complex events and initiatives
- Travel industry or consumer brand experience preferred but not required
- Outstanding communication skills – written and verbal – are required to interact with senior management, other departments, outside agencies and both shoreside and shipboard colleagues
- Strong ability to generate – at times on short notice – business communications, promotional messages, media statements, news releases and crisis communications messages
- Excited by the limitless editorial opportunities for Princess Cruises and eager to learn and adapt to the changing earned media landscape
- Very strong analytical skills with ability to pro-actively present and resolve complex issues and results, with minimal supervision from Director
- Possess the ability to analyze media results and calculate ROI for paid, owned and earned media
- Independent thinker with outstanding time management skills – track record of managing multiple projects with the ability to manage priorities that change on a daily basis
- Availability to travel periodically – including outside of regular work hours and weekends – in order to serve as key point person for media events and host of Press FAMs
- Critical thinking skills to make on-the-spot decisions when working with or hosting media, consumer influencers and celebrities
- Respond to time-sensitive matters including issues response to media query, incident response or in extreme cases crisis communications management triggering the need to publish statements, news releases and social media communications in response to situations that may arise globally
- Proficient in software including WORD, EXCEL, Powerpoint, Photoshop or similar photo/graphic viewing and editing software programs
- Experience with media monitoring platforms like Cision, and news release distribution like Agility (PR Newswire) preferred
- Flexible Work Schedule! 9/80 alternative workweek schedule providing each employee with one (1) weekday off every two weeks
- Time off benefits – 8 paid holidays, paid vacation, bonus vacation time and paid sick time
- Travel – Cruise and Travel Privileges for you and your family
- Health – Complete benefit plans including medical, dental, vision and flexible spending accounts
- Wellness – Health and wellness programs include, onsite exercise classes, onsite nutrition and lifestyle classes and discounted gym memberships
- Tuition Reimbursement – up to 80% with a maximum of $3000 per year
- 401(k) – Company match up to 6% of salary at 50% for the first 5 years and 100% thereafter
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan – up to a 15% discount off of FMV of CCL stock
- Training – In-house Discover U courses on professional development
- Rewards & Incentives – Employee Recognition and Reward Programs; rideshare, financial commuter incentives and free parking; banking services and retail stores
Next Steps… Apply today and set sail on an exciting new career course! Our goal is to be the number one cruise and cruise-tour provider. To make that happen, we need qualified, top-notch team members. If you’re looking to get your talent noticed, apply today!
Apply online at through our Princess Careers Listing. Be sure to create a Princess Cruises website profile and then apply directly to your specific job.
Princess Cruises is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability or protected veteran status.